Gap between carpet and baseboard trim

Old 01-23-17, 09:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap between carpet and baseboard trim

I had a boiler and baseboard heating. In the renovation the boiler was replaced with a heatpump, so we removed the baseboard heating with the copper piping also. The baseboard heating was much deeper (about 3 inches deep) than the trim that replaced it, so in doing so, there is now a gap between the carpet and the trim. Furthermore, the copper piping went into the floor at one end of the wall. so there is a hole 1 inch in diameter.

It is easy enough to get a plug for the hole, but WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FILL IN THE GAP FROM THE CARPET TO THE TRIM? I have considered quarter round, though I know that is frowned upon in wall-to-wall carpeted rooms. Also, that would quite come out enough to cover the plug anyway.

My only other solution that I have thought of is just to put down a piece of wood painted the same as the trim, but I know neither of these solutions is very good.Name:  IMG_20170124_242816977.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  14.0 KBName:  IMG_20170124_242730147.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  20.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-17, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I don't see a large gap between your base and the carpet. Does the gap you see run all around the room, or just where the heat was? You can replace the cut base in picture 2 to close the gap between moldings. The hole, yeah, a plug is about all you can do unless you have any carpet left over from the original install. Otherwise, you can cut a small square out of the corner of a closet and glue it in place over the plug.

Old 01-24-17, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Where the carpet doesn't reach the base as in the top pic you can add shoe mold or quarter round. Be sure to prime/paint it first so all you have to do is putty, caulk and touch up the paint after install.

Old 01-24-17, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
The carpet might stretch enough with a power stretcher to cover the gap.