Wall to wall carpet in living room?

Old 05-19-17, 03:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall to wall carpet in living room?

Well, we had old crappy, paint stained, "someone attempted to stain light laminate", laminate in living room of approximately 245 sf. It really looked like a dump!

Anyways, we went to HD to set up a measurement and consultation for some new laminate, but decided we should go for wall to wall carpet instead, since this is the only room in a small ranch that will be carpeted. It's cheaper (supposedly), the install is FREE (or at least that's what HD claims) and carpeting we've decided is comfortable and easier to clean then sweeping a rather dusty room with laminate.

I realize today carpet is not much desired, but I kind of like it, at least in the living room only.

So now I need recommendations on a good brand, type, etc. Thinking of going with either a chocolate brown or a peppered colored rug (white, black).

Oh, is the consensus to take up the old laminate? This will be on the main 1st floor, no concrete, but rather a plywood subfloor. There's a cellar below this living room.

Old 05-19-17, 05:00 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Any dark color will show every speck of dirt and dog hair.
I'd remove the laminate first.
Make sure you do not cheap out on the padding, it will make a big difference on how the carpet feels and how long it last.
Taking a chance on how this turns up going to a box store, a real flooring store would have there own installers, a box store hires anyone that's out of work and pays them so little money good luck getting them to come back if there's an issue.

Old 05-19-17, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that most manufacturers produce different brands and different quality carpets, and many are still located in Dalton, GA. You'll have to look at the specific Carpet you are considering. Price can be a vague guideline but you can also go by the warranty. If there are carpet samples you can look closely at the backing and bend the sample to look at the top and gauge how closely the fibers are together. Then there are all the different types of carpets... stain treatments... it can be a bit overwhelming.

Old 05-19-17, 05:09 AM
B
Any dark color will show every speck of dirt and dog hair.
I'd remove the laminate first.
Make sure you do not cheap out on the padding, it will make a big difference on how the carpet feels and how long it last.
Taking a chance on how this turns up going to a box store, a real flooring store would have there own installers, a box store hires anyone that's out of work and pays them so little money good luck getting them to come back if there's an issue.
Thanks for all the info. Well, at least I've got the guy coming next week for measurements so I can figure out the sf. Maybe I'll try and find a real carpet store around here. I would think HD would back up their work though, wouldn't you?

Old 05-19-17, 09:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The box stores usually pay installers less, (there is no such thing as a free installation, they mark up pad price and extras to cover it), so many times you get worse installers. And it can be hard to get them to come back and fix problems.
Empire is the very worst. They have "installers" bid on the jobs. So you get the guy willing to do it the cheapest. (the savings is not passed on to you either)

Old 05-19-17, 10:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm friends with the floor coverings manager at the local Menards and he tells people he has four installers - one who's good and three who are ok. The good one is always booked several weeks out.

Old 05-19-17, 03:44 PM
B
I went to a local place here in Portland Maine and they have Karastan Windsor Luxury line installed with pad for $4.99 sf. Is that a good rug and deal?

I have roughly 245 sf, so I'm looking at $1200 or a little more installed?

They're coming over in a week for free measure.

What does that say about the cost of the rug itself if it's $5 sf installed with a pad??

What's the catch here?

Also I can't decide on color. What color goes good with light yellow walls??

Old 05-19-17, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
What color goes good with light yellow walls??
A brown tweed would be nice. A multi color rug shows less dirt than a solid color.

Limited color selections in the Windsor line...
Karastan - Fine Carpets and Rugs - Windsor

Old 05-19-17, 05:35 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I realize today carpet is not much desired, but I kind of like it
For the first time ever I replaced our master bedroom carpet with wood. It looks more modern but the room is much noisier, would have to give some thought if I would ever do that again.

I also would never put carpet in great room, Im a floor guy, I sit all day so at night I'm laying on the floor. Never a wood floor there!!!

Old 05-20-17, 12:51 AM
B
brown tweed would be nice. A multi color rug shows less dirt than a solid color.

Limited color selections in the Windsor line...
Karastan - Fine Carpets and Rugs - Windsor
They have some berber fleck ones, but I think it's another line and more expensive. Is Karastan a good brand?

Old 05-20-17, 03:12 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The last time I bought carpet, it was being sold by the yard (9 square feet to the yard) and it was priced from about $8.99 per yard up to about $25,00 per Yard.

I guess I'd be in sticker shock today !

Old 05-20-17, 08:07 AM
I only have carpet in one room. Personally I like the Berber carpet.
It seems to last and stay clean.

Old 05-20-17, 06:07 PM
B
I'm looking at about $1400 or more for a 250sf room for Karastan carpet installed.

Old 05-21-17, 03:59 PM
B
Any recommendations on carpet color for this room?

Name:  IMG_0942JPG.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0943JPG.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  31.1 KB

Old 05-22-17, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You want a carpet color that will go with your furnishings. It doesn't matter if it goes with the wall color as that is the easiest/cheapest to change.

Old 05-22-17, 05:24 AM
B
You want a carpet color that will go with your furnishings. It doesn't matter if it goes with the wall color as that is the easiest/cheapest to change.
As you can see the 'furnishings' are old and worn. I will be upgrading the couch. Yes, I meant a color that will go well with the "light yellow" wall. I was thinking of some type of light brown or berber FLECK pattern.

The carpet I was looking at is Karastan brand at a local well known store around here in Portland Maine. It's around $5 sf. installed or at least that what's the company says. I like a few from their "Granique" line, but I think that's more expensive, not sure.

We got the guy coming over to do a measure and estimate this week or next. I've also gotta paint the ceiling, so I'm not in a big rush to get the carpet in.

Old 05-22-17, 08:08 AM
B
Can someone help me get a grip on carpet brands and what are high end vs low end, etc?

For example, the one carpet company/installers that I went to has Karastan and Masland.

I take it that those are both pretty high end carpets? I'm not really a rich person and was wondering if there are better midrange brands that I should be looking at or if those Karastan and Masland also have mid and low range quality?

For example, I'm wondering how the company says that the price of one of the Karastan carpets I looked at was $4.99 sf on sale including pad and install. I thought high end carpets went for a lot more than $5 a sf. Is the Karastan for $4.99 installed not that good of quality? Is there something I'm not getting?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: