Baseboards with existing carpet

Old 05-24-17, 06:34 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboards with existing carpet

I'm in the homestretch of a basement remodel and have a (hopefully) quick question about installing baseboards. I removed all the old baseboards during the demo process, and as you can see, the carpet was installed after installation. I purchased new baseboards with quarter round, since doing so I have read that quarter round is a no no with carpet but I think I might have to use it. The gap between the carpet and the wall is roughly 3/4" and the NEW baseboard is 1/2". I was hoping to get some opinions on whether I should install ONLY the baseboard, baseboard with quarter round, or is it possible to stretch the carpet 3/4" around the entire basement. Thanks for the help!
Name:  Baseboard5.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  Baseboard4.jpg
Views: 4644
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  Baseboard2.jpg
Views: 5579
Size:  46.5 KB
Name:  Baseboard3.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  40.9 KB
Name:  Baseboard6.jpg
Views: 6864
Size:  47.3 KB
Name:  Baseboard1.jpg
Views: 5430
Size:  44.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-17, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I've painted more than a few house where they used shoemold over the carpet because the baseboard didn't fit correctly.

Old 05-24-17, 08:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Who installed the carpet? It's pretty normal to have the baseboard in place so the carpet end can be pushed underneath after its stretched and tacked.

Old 05-24-17, 08:33 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No idea who installed the carpet or when it was done and it's not in the budget to have it replaced at this time.

Marksr- would you recommend laying the new baseboard right on the sub floor or elevating it a bit? Or is this just personal preference?

Old 05-24-17, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
The baseboard is supposed to touch the floor. But just put it down and the 1/4 round. It will look fine.

Old 05-24-17, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
I would suggest installing the baseboard and then adding 1/2" x 3/4" base shoe, not quarter round. Quarter round will stick out farther than necessary where the baseboard ends and door casing begins (which is where the baseshoe should terminate, either with a chamfered end or a returned mitered end). The base shoe only adds 1/2".

In a basement where the carpet is low pile I would suggest it be gapped 3/8" in relation to the cement floor... not tight to it.

Old 05-24-17, 02:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Technically, tack strip is designed for baseboard to be on the floor. That is why it is beveled under, to lock in the carpet. I know that some builders raise it to tuck the carpet under it, but that is actually not the right way to do it. It works, but is not the way it was designed.

Old 05-24-17, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 666 Votes on 616 Posts
Technically, you don't want much of anything actually touching the cement... not trim, not drywall, not door jambs... only the bottom plate which nowadays is pressure treated. In the event the cement ever gets a little wet you don't want it wicking up into the wood, and ESPECIALLY not MDF... That's before/regardless if any carpet is ever laid.

Old 05-24-17, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is enough moisture for it to wick up, the room is not suitable to be used until the problem is fixed.