Replace Rug

Old 01-24-18, 07:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace Rug

I need to replace this rug. It is about 60 feet long and 6 feet wide. So I am assuming I rip out the piece that is there, understanding that it may have to be scraped. Then can I go to Home Depot and just by a 60 foot piece, some glue and lay it in the space? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I am asking because if there is something I am missing I am hoping someone here will point it out to me. Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-18, 08:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It depends on how the current carpet is installed. Is there padding underneath. Was it attached with tackless strip around the perimeter or was it glued down? It is taped/seamed to the red carpet on the sides? But yes, gluing carpet down is one method of installation. In many cases I don't glue it down or if I do will only do a thin strip around the perimeter to make replacement in the future easier but in a high traffic or commercial installation you might want to glue the whole thing. Also, in a commercial setting you may want something better than what HD or Lowes stocks in the store.

Old 01-24-18, 09:17 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Most carpet is 12' wide so you will be buying a piece 30' long and cutting into 6' wide strips which will be pieced together.

Not a simple job especially considered it's pieced into an area with existing carpet on the sides.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-24-18 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: