should I put a carpet tack strip here?

Old 04-28-18, 01:28 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
should I put a carpet tack strip here?

I'm installing engineered wood flooring in a space previously covered with carpet. Since the removed carpet flowed from a hallway (in photo) into a room (upper part of photo), no carpet strip was used at the doorway by the original carpet installers. Since I cut the carpet at the doorway and plan to install a wood transition strip between the new wood flooring and the carpet in that room, should I add a tack strip under the carpet edge at the doorway or can I skip that and just cover the edge of the carpet with the transition strip?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-18, 02:03 PM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
I always install a threshold piece (flooring material) across the bottom of the doors vs a transition piece and then install a tack strip to hold the carpet in place!

Old 04-28-18, 03:40 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So, you cut a piece of the same wood flooring material, as what you have on one of the two floor areas being connected, to serve as a "threshold". Is the right? How do you avoid any gap between that piece and the adjacent wood flooring? And, if the "threshold piece" is the same flooring as the primary wood flooring, why even have the separate "threshold piece"? Why not just install the wood flooring to directly butt up against the carpet?

Note: The wood flooring I am installing is a tongue & groove click-lock "floating floor"; it is not anchored to the subfloor.

Old 04-28-18, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think Marq means he purchases a threshold of the same material as the flooring?

Most engineered flooring has thresholds, transitions, T-moulding, shoe or quarter round, etc that match in grain and/or pattern.

Old 04-28-18, 04:39 PM
I think Marq means he purchases a threshold of the same material as the flooring?

Sorry, my response was for nail down, and just used the same wood material trimmed to fit, Click lock is bit different, would the transition hold down the carpet?

Old 04-28-18, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Lol...and I immediately ASSUMED some sort of click-lock stuff. Nail down would be far beyond my skills.

dderolph The only flooring I installed was back in the "Pergo or real wood" days. There was no click-lock or engineered wood. It was edge glued in the groove, then clamped for several hours and fully floating. I used a carpet reducer for a 10-12' section that abutted a living room and it worked just fine w/o tack strips. Would have been a ***** to install on the concrete slab anyway. Of course, back then the transitions used a tight aluminum U track and you literally had to beat the transition down into it, but it never went anywhere and the carpet never slipped out. I'm not sure how the newer plastic channels I've seen perform.

IIRC I had to trim the carpet side of the reducer on my table saw, as it was just too thick/high. I'm sure they make them in different heights now.

Old 04-28-18, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Technically, tack strip is never supposed to be put across a doorway. It violates CRI standards. Use a transition piece.

Old 04-29-18, 10:31 AM
It violates CRI standards.

I had never heard of CRI so googled. Found copy but only thing I could find for tack strips were the size/width/number of nails.

So why not a tack strip across doorway, have had many many carpeted rooms that ended at wood floor, even some laminates, I assume they had tack strips, they did not have any type of transitions.

I've even done a few wood floors myself and used tack strips without any issues.

Something about stepping on the tack strip?

Old 04-30-18, 07:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Carpet will wear out faster if a tackstrip is across the door. CRI standards have to be bought anymore. But if an installer violates them, it voids the carpet warranty.