sealing for temporary carpeting in basement

Old 06-26-18, 01:35 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sealing for temporary carpeting in basement

Hello all. We recently moved into a new house, built in '99, sold by original owners. The look-out basement is 60-70% unfinished. They made a bedroom in the back corner (it's an L-shaped basement). The rest is unfinished in all its glory. We can't afford to finish the basement yet, but we want it to be as comfortable as possible for now. My wife found someone selling used carpet (ugh). We bought 800sqft he had to take up because it just didn't stand up to high traffic. It was superbly clean and he got it replaced under warranty, but was a carpet guy himself - so, good condition. My wife wants wall-to-wall covering. Basement is humid - sits 10deg colder than rest of house and hovers between 40-50% humidity. Typically hovers around 55-60 degrees so far this summer. So here comes my theory (and yes, this is not a permanent or ideal way to do it, it's already mostly paid for:
1. Seal concrete and sump well inside basement - should reduce humidity? Floor is never visibly wet, but feels cold and damp. Should also assist with Radon levels I assume
2. get cheap carpet padding to put under the remnants for comfort and some warmth
3. put carpet down like it's a rug - probably use carpet tape to connect and minimize trip hazards
4, Enjoy the boondock greatness of a half-assed temporary setup...

Should I dehumidify basement prior to sealing? should I not do anything before mitigating radon? I assume sealing will lower the levels, and our original test just barely hovered at the "look into doing something if you love your children" level.
Any advice appreciated.

Old 06-26-18, 02:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do a moisture test first. Take some plastic, a clear leaf bag will work great, and tape it onto the concrete. Tape all the way around so you seal the plastic. Then, let it sit for a couple of days. If you get condensation or moisture trapped under the plastic, then you have moisture seeping from the slab. Moisture can reek havoc on carpet and pad - ie mold and mildew. So, test first before venturing forward.

Old 06-26-18, 02:31 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I actually taped it down this morning! Everywhere I've read that's been step #1

Old 06-26-18, 04:55 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
2. get cheap carpet padding
They make padding especially for below grade basements, it;s mold/mildew proof and hold up well for concrete applications.

Its not the same as for above grade applications.

Old 06-27-18, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Get a dehumidifier.......................................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: