Unsatisfied with carpet install on stairs

Old 11-09-18, 09:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unsatisfied with carpet install on stairs

Hello all, I am seeking some advice (validation or reality check.)

I am a fairly adept DIYer but no experience installing carpet. We just had all of the floors in our home replaced which included carpet, hardwood, and LVP. We paid a small fortune and now that the job is "complete" I have about 30 days to review the work before final payment. I am a bit OCD and would like some advice as to whether my expectations and dissatisfaction with portions of the carpet install are realistic or unrealistic.

The overall install is acceptable but the stairs to my basement look terrible to me. The installer blames this on the (1995) drywall being cut poorly and lack of nosing and skirt boards. Here are some images of the final product. Can anyone with experience tell me if this is what a final stair carpet install should look like? Gaps at edges, not wrapped or turned under, wall scratches, etc. Am I expecting too much? If not, what could be the solution for the wall gaps and slack edges?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-18, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
I fail to see how a lack of trim... gaps due to the drywall, etc are the carpet layers fault. And I don't know a carpet layer in existence that won't scratch the wall here or there. All normal stuff.

Old 11-09-18, 10:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 634 Votes on 586 Posts
Much of what I see in your photos is the construction of the stairs and walls, not a carpet issue. In some of the pictures it looks like the wall was not painted all the way to the edge, probably the previous carpet prevented painting all the way to the edge. It also appears the sheetrock stops short of the stairs in several places.

Sheetrocking right up to stairs is extremely difficult (expensive) because of the numerous cuts that all must be perfect. Most commonly a molding is run along the side of the stairs so the wooden stair tread and risers have something solid to end against and it provides a straight line to sheetrock against. Then a final molding is applied to cover the very edge of the sheetrock since finishing a butt edge is difficult and labor intensive.

Old 11-09-18, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
When you fasten a carpet in a room.... tackless strips are used and the edge of the carpet is rolled over. You don't have the same luxury on a stairway.

Old 11-09-18, 01:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. I suspected this might be the case, which was why I asked. While I am not thrilled with the results, it sounds like the issues are a result of multiple factors including original construction and a few install miscues. I can see the validity of the points each of you raised. Not sure what to do next but appreciate the input.

@xsleeper I agree. I actually didn't have an issue with the scratches but rather that the agreement was for "white glove" service which included touch up of any minor damages. They failed to do that. Anyway, your point is fair.

Old 11-09-18, 01:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 634 Votes on 586 Posts
You could install quarter round or some other molding along the perimeter where your steps meet the wall. It would cover the buggers right at the edge and cover the edge of the carpet to prevent unraveling and a neater edge. I will warn you though to breath deep before you start. I think you'll find it to be a long, tedious job. After which you will completely understand why it's common to have a board running down the wall for the stairs to end into. It's sooo much easier. But if you do the molding for a few stairs each weekend it'll be done by Christmas.

Old 11-09-18, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
installer stapled the carpet in the crotch, should have used tack strip. Should have either, depending on pad thickness, rolled the edges under or if the pad is too thin, put strip on the edges, stretched the carpet over and tucked it in. I have done hundreds of stairs like that. Installer did a lousy job.