Is padded carpeting the answer?

Old 08-31-19, 01:54 PM
T
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Is padded carpeting the answer?

Hello. I live in a condo in a highrise condo building. There is noise transmission from the condo directly above mine. I've been told that there is concrete between the floors but not insulation; that's why you hear the footsteps and thuds and everything else.

I'm looking into buying the condo that is directly under the one I currently live in. If I installed padded carpeting in the condo that I currently live in, would that significantly reduce the transmission of noise from the condo above me? If so, I'm thinking about asking the landlord to let me install it.

That leads to my second question. The condo I currently live in is 620 sq. feet. How much would it cost me to have padded carpeting installed? It's not something I could do on my own.

Thanks.

Old 08-31-19, 05:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, carpet and padding would be quieter than a hard surface. But, if you move down a floor and the new person above decides they don't like carpeting you're out of luck, padding or not. If I just bought a condo with carpeting it would probably get removed.

Old 09-01-19, 07:16 AM
T
True, though the owner has indicated that he is going to hang onto the apartment for a while.

Old 09-01-19, 07:23 AM
T
Do you have any idea how much 620 sq. ft. would run?

Old 09-01-19, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Best bet is to check with a local carpet store. Labor prices vary greatly from area to area.

Old 09-01-19, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
True, though the owner has indicated that he is going to hang onto the apartment for a while.
?? Once you move out, it's open for someone else. Doesn't make sense. Wouldn't the one you live in now, be the one that's above you if you buy the one under you?

Old 09-22-19, 08:28 PM
T
Yes, and if the one I live in now has padded carpeting, I'm going to have a much quieter living experience living under it. However, as the other poster said, the owner could turn right around and sell it, and a new owner would likely remove the carpeting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: