Need underlayment for stair runners?

Old 03-10-23, 11:13 AM
P
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Need underlayment for stair runners?

I'm shopping around for new stair runners on wooden stairs. Years ago we had some but I ripped them out. We've slipped a few times recently, so for safety, I want new ones.

I noticed new ones seem to require or at least recommend underlayment but I'm certain my old ones didn't have underlayment. In fact, they didn't even use carpet tack strips and they were in my house at least 15 years before I ripped them out at which time they were holding up well with no slips or sags. Seems the only thing used were heavy staples.

The only reason I want them is to prevent socked feet slipping on bare finished wood steps. This time around do I need the underlayment and tack strips? Can I just install them without the underlayment? Is there an old school way of install with less fuss?

Also, if you have any suggestions for how to install or good merchants to buy from please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-23, 01:04 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I'm shopping around for new stair runners
Carpet runners?

Did you Google them, I see hundreds!

Old 03-10-23, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You likely need the underlayment (or padding) so that the perimeter hem (double thickness) will lay flat with the rest of the tread that is only single thickness.

Old 06-12-23, 10:16 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't think you need the padding, but will make it more comfortable to talk on and cancel out more noise.

As @XSleeper said, you may also need it to keep it level and looking nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: