Carpet has a brown stain after DIY carpet cleaning

Old 01-28-24, 12:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Carpet has a brown stain after DIY carpet cleaning

I bought a Bissell carpet cleaning machine a few years ago and I have successfully cleaned my carpets several times with it. This last time some of the cleaning solution leaked out in a spot and after it dried it was more brown than the rest of the carpet. I attempted to rinse the spot with water and it looked good while it was wet but it dried to an even darker brown than before. I did some research and found this could be a problem with the soap leaving the carpet PH too high. I mixed up some equal parts water and white vinegar and applied it to the spot and rinsed it with water and that seemed to help some but the spot is still brown.

I have a couple other stains that I am trying to fix in the same room and it seems like the more water I used to try to rinse out the soap the worse the brown spotting is.

I'm not sure why all of a sudden I am having these browning problems with my carpet cleaning. In the past I have gone over stains several times with the cleaning machine/cleaning solution and I've never had this browning problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 01-28-24, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the color of the carpet backing.
It may have gotten too wet.

Old 01-28-24, 08:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Stains can wick up from below after you have the top clean. If there is too much of the cleaning solution, more is not the answer - rinsing and extracting with clear water is.

Old 01-29-24, 07:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Could be a permanent stain. Let it set for several days before you try cleaning it again in case it is coming up from underneath.

Old 03-12-24, 08:16 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
See my reply to my own thread linked below about how I dealt with a motor oil stain that had been sitting for some time - maybe it will help.

Btw "TSP" is trisodium phosphate - you should be able to find it at any hardware store - I got it at Home Depot.

Removing motor oil from carpet?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: