Need to repair the clasp on pants

Old 11-18-17, 10:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: US
Posts: 21
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to repair the clasp on pants

The fastener (I don't know the correct term for this thing) on my pants is coming loose:

These pants still have some life in them, so I'd like to repair them. I don't even need this exact type of hardware; a hook would be sufficient. This is always covered by a belt anyways, so I don't care how it looks.

I'm quite the novice at sewing (although I do own a machine and can use it), so please give me dumbed-down instructions or point me to a good site. Thanks.
Old 11-19-17, 02:33 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 9,501
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
I fixed a pair of jeans recently.

That button/clasp is trash, it's part of a rivet set.

Need to go to a sewing store and get a metal button that looks similar, then using another plastic button on the inside.

Sew it in loose so there is approx 1/4" between the two buttons using heavy thread.

With the slack you can grip the metal button and it will have room to fit inside the button opening.
Old 11-19-17, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 516
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about Velcro?
Old 11-19-17, 08:55 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 70,136
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
You can get replacement studs. They get installed with a hammer. You would need to sew a piece of material behind the old stud for the new stud to mount in. That material should be doubled for extra strength.
Old 11-25-17, 09:36 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: US
Posts: 21
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have learned that this thing is called a "tack button," aka "bachelor's button," aka "dungarees button." Knowing the right term makes searching soooo much easier!
Old 11-26-17, 05:45 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,994
Received 308 Votes on 244 Posts
There's other terms you could use that are correct too, but bachelor's button isn't one of them.
Old 11-26-17, 12:16 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,110
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They are indeed called that on a few listings on Amazon, but those seem to be specifically for suspenders? Joann's calls them that as well as jeans button and no sew button. I'd call them rivet buttons if it were me. But then, I didn't invent them, sooooo.....

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: