Installing laminate flooring over floor edge

Old 10-21-15, 10:26 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing laminate flooring over floor edge

hello everyone, I am completely new to floor installation. However, heard from some friends that laminate floor is easy for DIY. Then I begun the project to replace carpet into laminate.

There are about 25 balusters on the floor. I don't want to remove them, then reinstall. It would be way too much for me. Here is my plan: I will leave them, then measure and cut the opening for each baluster on my floor plank to fit. This should be much easier, right?

Now i need some advise on the floor edge, i am not sure how to handle the situation. I know it needs some kind of floor nose or reducer. Just not sure which one to buy or use.

So, could someone please shed some light here? I want the reasonable approach for easy implementation.

Need as many detail as possible. (e.g pictures, web-link), thanks very much..

Attached Images    
Old 10-21-15, 11:05 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's debatable as to which is easier, removing the balusters or cutting around them. I would look for an L shape molding, for the edge.

Old 10-21-15, 12:41 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This is a tough one. You really can't just cut a notch out of laminate and go around the balusters. The correct way to go about this is to remove the balusters, install 1x6 or 1x8 trim, reinstall the balusters on top of the trim. Then the laminate goes up to the trim, and is finished with a transition piece to allow for expansion and contraction. At the stairs themselves, you would install a stair nose transition. This is a bit more than a simple DIY project.

Old 10-21-15, 01:33 PM
W
oh, that is bad if have to remove the balusters.

What is the correct process to remove them? Do I have to remove the handrail above as well? I found balusters are glued into floor and handrail. is it hard? I don't want to break the handrail or the wall.

Here are some pictures of the handrail connection.

Name:  IMG_3615.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  33.1 KBName:  IMG_3616.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  26.9 KBName:  IMG_3617.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  20.8 KB

Any advice are really appreciated...

Old 10-21-15, 02:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
There is no easy solution other than to try to notch the 1x6 material around your balusters. But, you can not notch the laminate flooring. Here are a coupe of pictures of what I am talking about as far as what would be the proper way to build.

Name:  stair.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  6.5 KB
Name:  stair2.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  8.7 KB
Name:  stair3.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  6.5 KB

Old 10-21-15, 02:44 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Laminate should not even be used on a second floor, for the reasons your dealing with, it's loud when walked on and where it transitions to the stairs is going to end up as a trip hazzard.
Use 3/4" thick Engineered or prefinished flooring instead.
That way you can use a standard landing tread and it all comes out even.

Old 02-09-16, 07:21 AM
W

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: