Can I add on to existing laminate floor?

Old 03-13-16, 12:21 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I add on to existing laminate floor?

We just bought a house with laminate floor in the hallways, half bath, and kitchen. The floor doesn't go into the living room or dining area. Would it be possible to take up the carpet and extend the floor into these areas?

Also, is there a sealer that can be bought to seal or protect the floor in half bath?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-16, 01:09 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Would it be possible to take up the carpet and extend the floor into these areas?
It's not only possible, it's a good idea. I would leave the floor in the 1/2 bath as is.

Old 03-13-16, 04:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
There is nothing to my knowledge that will stop the inevitable water damage to the flooring in the half bath. Extending the laminate into other parts of the house is not a bad idea. Of course we don't know the direction the present laminate travels. It may necessitate the use of a transition strip to make it work.

Old 03-13-16, 09:00 AM
L
What direction would necessitate a transition strip?

Old 03-13-16, 09:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With laminate, any addition at a squared off end will necessitate a transition. You can't tie laminate into itself like you can regular hardwood. I had second thoughts on my previous post, but didn't clarify in time. I was thinking of full size flooring.

Old 03-13-16, 10:09 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Where ever the current floor ends those pieces most likely were cut to fit and the click lock mechanism is no longer present. That is where you would start the new floor and cover the gap between them with "T" molding.

Your laminate in the kitchen and bath are time bombs having laminate in any wet location. The only thing that worries me, is did they try to cover up damage by throwing laminate in these rooms? Especially if the house is not that old. Or just a inexpensive freshening before putting the house on the market?