Which comes first? Floor or sheetrock? Before you answer that.....

Old 08-04-16, 12:07 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which comes first? Floor or sheetrock? Before you answer that.....

I'm in the process of remodeling an old plaster wall home and have run into some issues. I want to replace the current flooring in the livingroom, which is old torn up carpet on top of very poorly installed wooden flooring and that poorly installed flooring sits on top of the original wood floor. The baseboards are snuggled tight under the poorly installed wooden flooring, but they sit on top of the old wooden flooring, which is making removing them impossible and also is destroying the plaster wall which is fine, I plan on replacing the plaster with sheetrock. My question is...what goes in first? Sheetrock or the floor? I know I need to tear the carpet out and the baseboards, but do I also need to tear out the poorly installed wooden floor as well? Does the sheetrock extend below the floor or should it be sitting on top of it? I have loads of time and a bit of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-04-16, 12:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The drywall is generally installed 1/2" above the subfloor so a hardwood floor installed above the subfloor often is slightly above the drywall. I don't know if the same is true for plaster

You almost always start at the top and work your way down, with the floor being installed last. I'd remove the flooring at the same time as the rest of the demo.

Old 08-04-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,584 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Since you have so much subfloor and wood that needs to come off, you might want to demo the floor, figure out what you need to do there first.... remove all baseboard, then maybe as simple as adding 1/2" ply to the subfloor. Then hang and finish drywall.

It will make a mess so you will need to scrape and vacuum the subfloor prior to putting down your finished floor.

Old 08-04-16, 02:26 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on what type flooring you install you may need to have as much as a 3/4" space at the perimeter of the room for an expansion gap....this gap will be more important parallel to hardwood flooring as opposed to the ends of hardwood rows. If your baseboards are 1/2" thick the additional 1/4" can be under the sheetrock. So if you hang your sheetrock 3/4" above the subfloor, assuming that you will be using 3/4" flooring, you won't have to trim the sheetrock when you lay the flooring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: