Floating wood floor on UNEVEN tile surface?

Old 08-08-16, 01:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floating wood floor on UNEVEN tile surface?

Name:  IMG_20160807_202720.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  28.3 KBI need some guidance.

I've gone thru 4 weeks of remodeling my kitchen, at the last step now and realized that I should have leveled the floor prior to cabinets instead of thinking that it "should work" with my wood floorings.

I have tile flooring, which is not flat and uneven. Cabinets are on shims, at one end as high as 1.5 inch.

It's too late in the process to remove tiles, cabinets and underlayment for counter top are screwed into the walls.

I'm thinking the floating wood floor (engineered wood) with under pads would be able to accommodate minor unevenness in the tile floor.

Should I take a chance? or should I make a perimeter and use self-leveling concrete? or should I use thinset and try to level out the worst area?

Old 08-08-16, 01:17 PM
D
Engineer wood flooring on uneven tile floor?

Floating floor on uneven tile floor?

I need some guidance.

I've gone thru 4 weeks of remodeling my kitchen, at the last step now and realized that I should have leveled the floor prior to cabinets instead of thinking that it "should work" with my wood floorings.

I have existing tile flooring, which is not flat and uneven. Cabinets are on shims, at one end as high as 1.5 inch.

It's too late in the process to remove tiles, cabinets and underlayment for counter top are screwed into the walls.

I'm thinking the floating wood floor (engineered wood) with under pads would be able to accommodate minor unevenness in the tile floor.

Should I take a chance?
or should I make a perimeter and use self-leveling concrete?
or should I use thinset and try to build up on the worst area?

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-16, 03:23 PM
J
Received 102 Votes on 89 Posts
Not good news, your trying to do this backwards.
What type foundation?
Slab, crawl space, full basement?
How do you ever plan on getting that dishwasher out if the floors raised that much?
That's going to look like poop with that much slope along the cabinets.

Old 08-08-16, 03:32 PM
D
house is on a crawl space.

I've factored in the floor height when setting the dishwasher, it's not fully install, just sitting there for fitment.

I was planning to use corner trims to cover the any gaps from the floor and cabinets.

Old 08-08-16, 03:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ouch. Yeah, I would have removed the tile not only to save from the uneveness, but to save vertical space in the room. The cabinets could have been set on the subflooring, and leveled, while the flooring would have pulled up next to it and the difference could have been covered in molding. BUT, the cards are dealt, I understand. Are you worried about the aberrations in the field (from tile to tile) or the unlevel condition of the floor?

Old 08-08-16, 03:38 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You probably would want to use self leveling compound on the tile for flatness of the floating floor. Cross check as 1 1/2" out of level is a lot. You most likely can not do SLC of that thickness in one pour. Read to instructions on your brand of compound. You might also look into a leveling embosser as your floating floor needs flat, not necessarily level. Use a long straight edge (6') to determine the best route.

Old 08-08-16, 03:44 PM
D
I'm not worried on the floors being out of level, that will always happen as the house age and as the ground shifts, contracts and expands...

My concern is the floor not being FLAT, and cause floating floors to have empty gaps under, which flexes or squeaks when walked on.

I think my best fix now is to fix the major uneven area with thinset, so that the floating floor could rest on them to provide a solid feel.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Old 08-08-16, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
This is a duplicate of this thread. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/fr...ile-floor.html Try to keep it all together to keep confusion down.

Old 08-09-16, 09:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I have merged the two threads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: