Transition between hardwood and vinyl floor

Old 09-21-16, 11:16 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Transition between hardwood and vinyl floor

I have Googled and You Tube this topic for days with no solid answer that I'm looking for. I have replaced a bad laminate floor with a engineered floating hardwood. I have to transition a 128" opening where the hardwood and the vinyl kitchen floor meet.

I would estimate the hardwood floor is maybe less than 1/4" difference in height. I have a left over tmolding from my door ways, I have purchase a reducer and threshold and none of these are perfect fits. The reducer being the worse, the T will have small gap on either side, the Threshold probably slightly better with still a small gap along the hardwood side(also being the bulkiest trim and worried about a tripping hazard).

Perhaps I'm being to picky for a first time DIY floor. What's the norm solution. I thought about trimming the Threshold down ever so much to eliminate the gap but limited on tools, what tool to use and it's expensive to mess up!

Thanks

Old 09-21-16, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you have access to a table saw where you can cut down the bottom side of the threshold to match the floors? cutting just the potion that goes over the hardwood.

Old 09-21-16, 12:00 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The manufacturers usually make transition pieces for their floors. Check there first. If you are simply shopping at the big box stores, you may try stopping into a flooring store for direction. There are numerous different profiles and I'm sure there is one that will work in your situation. The most common will have a side profile that looks like a squashed number seven where the arm of the seven sits on your engineered floor and the other on the vinyl.

Old 09-21-16, 03:18 PM
E
Thanks for the replies, she wants this done by the weekend for a birthday party so can't order from the manufacturer.

Got some pics when I got home. I think I'm going to go with the T it's a slight angle but not bulky. I have a floor saw which is kinda like a mini table saw....I could try to cut down the Threshold. What do u think?

And

I know I'll have to cut back on the vinyl more for the expansion gap

Old 09-21-16, 03:59 PM
J
Go with the T molding. You said the difference in flooring heights is 1/4", so remove 1/4" from the bottom of the molding on the side that rests on the higher floor and the T will rest flat on both surfaces. Ideally there should be a piece of wood under the T that touches the subfloor and supports the T to prevent it from breaking. Nail the T to the subfloor with finish nails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: