Installing laminate flooring in basement

Old 09-25-16, 11:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing laminate flooring in basement

Hi all - so I am looking at installing some laminate floor in 2 bedrooms that are in my basement.

The rooms currently have carpet that was installed over vinyl that I assuming was installed directly on the concrete floor.

From what I have read I need to first install a vapour barrier, then a foam underlay and then I can install the laminate.

Can I do this directly over the vinyl ? If the vinyl stays, do I still need the vapour barrier ?

And for a vapour barrier - will a simple 6 mm plastic sheet that says it is made for in-wall purposes be good enough ? something like this - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...000113374.html

when I went to home depot to ask, they said this was not good enough and that I should go with this - https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.a...000513330.html

The second product listed looks like it has the foam underlay included but I don't need that as my laminate already has the foam pad attached so is the second product overkill ?

There is a 10 X price difference so I don't want to use that if not needed.

Thanks !

Old 09-25-16, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We don't know where you are located since your profile is not complete, so we don't know what your weather extremes are.

We don't know what brand or style of laminate you are installing, nor if it is approved for below grade installations.

Generally if your laminate will have the foam backing, a thinner vapor barrier as suggested in the first link would suffice. I like the Robert's red brand for engineered flooring (not laminate, as I refuse to install it).

What sort of moisture issues do you have, or have had in the past? Have you performed a moisture test? Removing the vinyl is optimum, but it will depend on its overall condition whether it can be left or not.

Old 09-25-16, 11:59 AM
P
Hi I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, sorry about that !

I am using this laminate purchased at Costco which comes with the foam backing attached - Golden Select Laminate Flooring Java Walnut

We have only been in the house for 1.5 years but have had no moisture issues at all. I have not performed any moisture tests as the carpet is still on the floor.

Old 09-25-16, 01:22 PM
What is described seems to be a pretty thick floor, not your typical laminate. Over 1/2" of product with a little more in padding. Pull the carpet and see what is there. If there is moisture, the carpet will most likely be stained on the jute. With the click lock installation, just be sure to leave adequate spacing around the perimeter as prescribed by the manufacturer.

Old 09-25-16, 02:01 PM
P
thank you for your help so far.

one last question (hopefully) - when laying the vapour barrier and overlapping the pieces - do you need to tape them together ?

I have seen different methods recommended, either just overlap by 8" or overlap and tape together.

If taping is needed, what kind is best ?

Old 09-25-16, 03:40 PM
Check our the package on the barrier you chose, as it may have an incorporated tape strip. If not, then taping with a product such at Tyvek tape would suffice. An overlap of a few inches and tape is best.

Old 09-25-16, 04:18 PM
P
thanks again - something like this ?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.r...000181212.html

Old 09-25-16, 06:09 PM
That will work just fine provided it is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: