Calculating optimal way to lay laminate floor for this shape?

Old 10-14-16, 06:38 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Calculating optimal way to lay laminate floor for this shape?

Flush off of successfully putting down a laminate floor in a bedroom , I'm about to tackle a hallway. However, I am trying to figure out the best way to correctly calculate the width of the boards against the walls, due to the hallway shape. It is shaped like 2 overlapping "squares":

Name:  sshome158_640.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  13.4 KB

(picture not quite to scale, but measurements are accurate)

I'm trying to determine how to do it without needing any type of transition where the two squares overlap (at the 4' 10" section), as well as minimizing the chance of having to deal with a very narrow plank strip against a wall. The floor planks are 4.9" wide and 48" long. Right now it seems to me a good way to start is on the 7' wall on the bottom "square" and going right to left. First I would do the proper measurement to cut the first row against the wall so that a full size piece will line up with the "bottom" wall of the left "square" when I reach it in the overlap area.

My concern is that I might be left with having a very small "slice" when I reach the longer top wall... but maybe with the proper measurement I can avoid that.
Is there a better way to lay this out? I'm open to suggestions - thanks!

Old 10-14-16, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If they are really 4.9" wide you won't have any problem ending with a sliver since 12 rows at 4.9" = 58.8". (4' 10" is 58", so you will be cutting some off that last row) You will want to make sure you start straight with the longest run, so snap a chalk line right through the middle of your "H", where that chalk line is parallel with one or hopefully both hallway walls. Then if you start on the 7' wall, be sure that first piece is straight with your chalk line.

Your edge spacing away from the room edges also needs to be considered when measuring.

Old 10-15-16, 07:18 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I see a flaw in your drawing.
The flooring should not just be run straight across the opening like that.
It needs to be run into the door openings up to the stop molding so you do not see two different types of flooring with the door closed.

Old 10-15-16, 09:13 AM
N
Thanks - I just didn't show it it the quick pic as that was not my concern - I have already done the room edge spacing for the first room I laid down. My concern was more the general laying of the laminate planks.

Old 10-15-16, 09:16 AM
N
Thanks - I hadn't thought about the chalk line so that info is definitely helpful and one I will use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: