Help identifying type of wood used in hardwood flooring

Old 11-02-16, 11:25 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help identifying type of wood used in hardwood flooring

I need help identifying the 2 different types of solid hardwood flooring in the 3 pictures below. The first photo is from the dining/living room of our first floor circa 1923 home. The other 2 photos are from the kitchen. There was tar paper scraped off the top of the kitchen flooring. Some residue remains which makes it difficult to see the wood in the photos. The wood in the kitchen has less dark grain pattern and is more uniform in color and pattern than the dining/living room.

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  26.6 KBName:  IMG_0163.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  49.1 KBName:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 11-02-16, 11:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Maybe white oak in the first pic, the rest needs to be cleaned up better so we can see more of the grain.

Old 11-02-16, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The first photo looks like oak but I can't really see the wood in the other two photos. Usually the same type wood is used throughout the house if you think it was all installed at the same time. If you think a room was remodeled you'll have to do some investigating. Sanding the dirty floors so the wood and it's grain are visible will make identifying the wood much easier.

Old 11-02-16, 12:05 PM
D
The two rooms are separated by single perpendicular strip of wood. I'm not sure what type of wood they are but I am positive they are two different types of wood. Maybe they wanted a more showy type of wood in the kitchen and something cheaper in the rest of the first floor, I'm not sure but I'm believe they were installed at the same time and are different types of wood.

There were some walls, chimney removed where the flooring needs to be patched in before it is sanded. Sanding it at this point for identification purposes would cause more work and hassle.

Old 11-02-16, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It might be a hassle but you need to know what type of wood it is before you lace in new. The 2nd pic could be maple but it's next to impossible to say for sure with no more than we can see.

Another thing is the size of the boards - they have changed some over the years. Is there a closet or some other out of the way place you could 'steal' boards to replace with?

Old 11-02-16, 05:02 PM
Sanding it at this point for identification purposes would cause more work and hassle.
I've had my floors refinished several times. I'm also a carpenter.
The first picture is white oak, it will be easy to match because of natural wood variations in color.

I would sand the first cut before making any repairs. That's the only way to choose your replacement planks based on natural color.

Old 11-02-16, 06:59 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
First picture looks like face sawn cheap pine or spruce to me.
I have a rental that looks exactly like it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: