Laminate Stairs Repair

Old 01-15-17, 10:40 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laminate Stairs Repair

I have laminate stairs in my townhouse. A nose piece fell off the other day and I thought it was a good time to get a new tool. Do I want a pin nailer or brad nailer to re-attach the nose from the stair...keep in mind I'll also want it for future work such as quarter round and baseboards etc. etc.

Thanks for any advice you toss my way

Old 01-15-17, 11:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! A pin nailer may work fine with the thin laminate, but I have found that an 18 gauge brad nailer that will take up to 2" brads will do a better job when you go to do the baseboards. Pin nails just don't have the holding power that brads or finishing nails have.

Old 01-15-17, 01:45 PM
S
Thanks Chandler...any recommendations on a manufacturer....I'm thinking of getting a used one...unless you feel they often break down....

Old 01-15-17, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Used, it will have wear, and it was sold for a reason. No more expensive than they are, I would buy new. I just replaced one with a Porter Cable straight nailer that accepts 2" brads. Works great, and wasn't expensive. That way you will have some sort of warranty, too. Ridgid offers lifetime warranty, but will be a little more expensive, initially ($99)

Old 01-15-17, 03:40 PM
S
ok thanks very much...time to shop

Old 01-15-17, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to recommend no less than a 16 ga. nailer for anything flooring related. Might even suggest a 15 ga. as it has a bigger head on the brads.

Also will say that laminate is not designed for use on stairs. it needs to float so you can't get a good solid fit. The trim pieces are usually a cheap MDF format and will not lend itself to the abuse that stairs will take. If you are renting then not much you can do, if you own, consider retreads as a safer option.

Old 01-15-17, 04:37 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
I'm 110% with Czizzi!
Just a bad plan to begin with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: