Cutting installed hardwood

Old 02-18-17, 03:28 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting installed hardwood

I am installing a new sliding door on the back of my house and I'm pretty sure the new door is a little bit thicker than the aluminum one from the '80's. This will require that I cut the flooring back a bit and I was wondering if there are any tips/tricks for this. Type of saw recommendation, tooth count on blade, anything that helps result in a nice smooth cut and doesn't mess up the floor. Much appreciated

Old 02-18-17, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
A circular saw with a 40 + tooth blade will make a clean cut. Use a straightedge and set blade depth same as wood being cut. Probably will have a couple of inches that saw will not reach. I would use a oscillating saw to finish cut. Use straight edge on that cut also.

Old 02-18-17, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use a 3" circular saw, I guess a full size one would work also as long as you trust the depth adjustment. I would practice cutting the exact depth minus about 1/32".
Sticking Velcro on the saw's bottom plate will protect the floor and make cutting easier.

The reason I use a 3" saw is because it can plunge cut. Be careful of kickback when plunging a regular circular saw down into the floor. The saw might kick back strongly.

Old 02-18-17, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 783 Posts
Its good to be prepared in case you need to cut it, but dont count on it. Depending on what kind of door you get, many are even narrower than the old ones.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: