Epoxy resin on painted concrete

Old 02-25-17, 01:24 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Epoxy resin on painted concrete

I'm not sure this is the right forum section for this, but I'm wanting to apply a pigmented epoxy resin to a concrete floor. Only issue is that the concrete already has a coat of what I'm pretty sure is oil-based paint. Is there a way to create a decent bond between the epoxy and the paint? I want to say the bond between the paint and the concrete is fairly strong. Traffic will be limited to people walking and standing; I'm not making this in a garage with vehicles.

Old 02-25-17, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mike!

Which epoxy are you using? what do the prep directions on the label say?

Old 02-25-17, 04:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Follow the manufacturers recommendation and don't even consider skimping or cutting corners on the floor prep. If the instructions say it must go on bare, clean or etched concrete then that is what you need. The only failed epoxy flooring I have seen fail has been when the floor was not prepped properly. But, without knowing what product you are using I would say it can NOT be applied over paint.

Old 02-25-17, 07:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I haven't bought any product yet. This paint situation is going to be a factor in what I decide to get. However, I may be able to get my hands on a floor sander/grinder, so I'm half tempted to just grind the paint off and start from scratch.

Last edited by MikeP425; 02-25-17 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-26-17, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Usually you can find the specs and such for a coating online - just go to the manufacture's website.
That said, getting back to clean/bare concrete will insure there aren't any issues with the underlying coating.

Old 02-26-17, 04:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes, a diamond floor grinder is generally the best option if the floor has been coated before. Many tool rental stores have them available for rent or you can hire someone to do just the floor grinding for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: