Finishing between wooden floor and French doors

Old 07-17-17, 07:45 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing between wooden floor and French doors

I recently had French doors installed in my house by knocking down part of the back wall. There used to be a radiator on that wall, which I've had moved, but the pipes used to run along the back wall in a box hidden behind the skirting boards. Now that that box has been removed to move the pipes, there is a 2 inch gap between the edge of my wooden floor (I believe it's solid wood floor) and the wall. Furthermore, the French doors had to be built with a step up (i.e. they don't go all the way down to the floor) so I need to cover the bit of wall under them too - roughly 2 inch high as well. I'm wondering if there is a relatively easy way to make a clean finish there without redoing the whole floor. Can I just use a bit of 'profile' (i.e. a flat wooden baguette) to glue along the wall to cover the gap? It won't look perfect but would certainly look better. About the step up at the bottom of the French doors, should I run the skirting boards along the whole wall and cut the top to fit under that step? Or would it be better to only redo the skirting boards on either side of the doors and cover the front of the step with a bit of wood so as to create a wooden step? Any advice appreciated!

Old 07-17-17, 08:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A pic or two would give us a better idea of what you have/need http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-17-17, 09:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
This is primarily a north american based forum but we're happy to try to help anyone anywhere. That said, because there can be differences in what options are available to you as well as restrictions on you, please err on the side of more detail than less when posting.

Old 07-22-17, 05:20 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses and the words of welcome! Here are a few pictures of the damage.
Thanks in advance.

Name:  diy_ad3.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  16.8 KBName:  diy_ad1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  16.1 KBName:  diy_ad2.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  23.0 KB

Old 07-22-17, 06:37 AM
Received 421 Votes on 392 Posts
Id look at replacing the base board and then building/stacking several different sizes or profiles inward to cover the gap vs trying to repair the gap in the floor.

Since it's across the entire wall it will look more "normal".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: