Refinishing Wood Staircase with OSB Landing?

Old 08-10-17, 12:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Wood Staircase with OSB Landing?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a new home that has carpeted stairs (I hate carpet!) I pulled a few corners up to take a peek at what was underneath and to my surprise it is beautiful pine! So my plan is to pull the carpet up, sand and stain the existing wood and paint the risers white- which is much cheaper than the stair tread route I thought I had to take. So here's my question: every step seems to be wooden except the landing where the staircase takes a turn midway up -this area is OSB (yuck!) ...Can anyone suggest the best fix for this so I can have a beautiful wooden staircase all the way up?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-17, 12:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Ideally you'd install hardwood over the OSB but that might throw the height off. You'd probably need to remove the OSB and then install the hardwood directly to the framing - not ideal but not sure you could get the height to match up otherwise.

I'm just a painter, the carpenters should be along later and may have better suggestions.

Old 08-10-17, 12:47 PM
M
Thank you! I've even thought about replacing the OSB with a nice piece of plywood of the same thickness. But is plywood stain-able?

Old 08-10-17, 12:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Yes, but most plywood other than furniture grade doesn't stain very evenly.

Old 08-10-17, 01:49 PM
J
The outer layer of the plywood isn't going to be very thick and if it were to get damaged you'd have a tough time fixing it. Did you remove carpet from the top and bottom landings too? Check all the riser heights to make sure all are code compliant.

Old 08-10-17, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Check your rise at the landing... keeping in mind that no step on a staircase can vary by more than 3/8"... and that includes your landings.

So you will likely rip off the osb, and replace it with pine to match, but you may need a subfloor that is let in between the joists. Figure out your thicknesses needed based on the existing rises, asuing they curgently meet code.