Tap dancing floor creation

Old 09-13-17, 09:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Tap dancing floor creation

Not sure where to post this but since I'm leaning toward something like hardwood on top I figured I'd start here.

So, my daughter is in competitive dancing and I'm trying to help out. One of the ways I have in mind is to turn my mudroom into a tap dancing room for her to practice away from the studio. It's vinyl on concrete now so I was thinking of 2x4 framing with 3/4" plywood on top (framing something like 10-12" OC). The more I think about it, though, the more I don't like the plywood on top because the only reasonable way I can think to fasten it to the sleepers is screws through the top and I don't want a bunch of screws in the layer on which she's dancing. Hence, I'm now thinking about maybe some tongue and groove flooring as the top layer or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Additional details: The area is about 5'x8' and there's a heat vent along the far wall which I want to remain functional.

Old 09-13-17, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
I don't know.... an elevated floor is going to be noisy in a house. Why not some type of click together wood flooring. No need to fasten it down and definitely much quieter. Put some type of padding down on the vinyl first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: