Layout question: Laminate flooring around entryway.

Old 03-31-18, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Layout question: Laminate flooring around entryway.

Hi all,

I'm installing some laminate flooring around the entry way (see image). I plan to run it about 3 feet out from the door and then to the wall on the right. Before I go and start cutting out the area around the door, I wanted to get some advice on how far out to the left from the doorway should I run it the laminate? To the edge of the door jamb?
I wasn't able to find many images where someone had this same entryway layout as well as keeping the rest of the carpet. Is there any rule of thumb?

Thanks,

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-18, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Hard to say without seeing the rest of the room. My first thought is that it should be symmetrical and go past the floor register on the left.

Old 03-31-18, 01:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Based on the way the door swings, would be awkward to have it end right there considering how people step when entering and exiting. I would run it past the left side of the door as well. I would also cut the carpet last. Peel it back, lay your flooring, roll the carpet back and cut it so you can apply a transition strip to cover both carpet and laminate and leave appropriate expansion gap.

Old 04-16-18, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone.

I just thought I'd thank you guys for your suggestions. After some discussion with my wife, we ended up running the floor starting just left of the front door and going to the wall on the right. It turned out like we had hoped. We did consider the symmetrical but it encroached too much into the living room.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: