Engineered hardwood choices for house with large dogs

Old 04-04-18, 02:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered hardwood choices for house with large dogs

Hello all...

Question for hardwood/engineered wood experts:

Currently buying new construction. I can select an upgrade between a select few engineered hardwood choices. Which of the following would be best for 2 medium - large dogs (we also have 3 cats)?

Current spec'd floor:

Red Oak / Smooth texture / 1889 Janka Rating

Upgrades:

Maple / Heavy Scraped texture / 2233 Janka Rating

Hickory / Wire Brushed / 2584 Janka Rating

Hickory / Heavy Scraped / 2584 Janka Rating

Hickory seems like the winner to me. Can anyone add insight as to the different textures, and/or whether Maple is a better choice despite the lower rating?

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-04-18, 03:22 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Large dogs and wood floors simply do not get along.

I have both, but we have very rough plank floors and many area rugs where the dogs can travel without having to make but a few steps on the floors.

You can tell they hate them, they are slippery, and the dogs do not go into areas without rugs!

Old 04-04-18, 04:30 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Hickory also interchangeable with Pecan is a super hard wood. Only worked with it once, and it burned out my belt sander. That would be my choice if animal scratches are the main concern.Great look and very durable. Price may not meet your budget, but sacrifice something else to make it happen.

Old 04-04-18, 09:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you czizzi.(Engineered) Hickory is one of three affordable options, the upgrade from red oak is only costing me an additional $2500 for approximately 1000 square feet of floor. I put the formal order in today. Two of the options were actually hickory, the difference being the texture...I am opting for the heavy scraped texture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: