Help with stair landing

Old 04-04-18, 09:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with stair landing

im redoing old carpeted stairs and ripped up all the treads and risers. I’m doing the risers in 3/4 oak plywood painted white and have some pre fab 1” oak treads from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/11-1-2-x...D00L/202088436. 1)Are these good treads or should I consider real solid oak because these appear not, however are they better for warping compared to real solid oak treads? My other Qs is about my landing , I was wanting to use something 1” also to keep the same step heights and I have steps coming in on both sides of landing. 2) what material should I use for landing? I was thinking about using the same treads on the sides and then cutting off the bullnose on the other prefab treads so I could butt them together on the landing. If I do that do I need to edge glue them or bisquit them together? Would that look right Or is there a way better way? Or could I get away with staining oak plywood for the landing and glueing on bullnose for both sides? Thanks for the help and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.cant figure out how to post pictures but this link should help https://www.houzz.com/discussions/52...r-landing-help!
Pictures can be seen in comments

Last edited by Chads; 04-04-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 09:49 PM
C
[img]webkit-fake-url://ab030924-b11b-4118-a993-65cb5d71b7b2/imagejpeg[/img]

Old 04-05-18, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The treads should be fine. Not sure why you'd want to paint oak risers ?? pine plywood will paint better and cost less. Use oak flooring for the landing and butt it up to the nosing.

Also if you prefinish the risers/treads prior to installation you'll save yourself a lot of time/effort and the staircase will only need to be shut down for the final coat of finish.

Old 04-05-18, 06:26 AM
C
Thanks for the reply. I meant to say risers will be birch plywood not oak. I’ll go ahead and prefinish like you mentioned. When you say use oak flooring you mean unfinished tongue and grove? If so then would I cut the tongue and grove on both sides of the landing and glue a bullnose on that’s recessed down so it’s level with the floor? Because my treads now are actuall 1” thick and the only oak flooring I can find is 3/4”, also having stairs coming from two sides on the landing I wouldn’t be able to tongue and grove all the way across unless I should try to cut my own tongue and grove in the last side

Old 04-05-18, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the part of the bullnose that lays on the floor is only 3/4" thick although the nosing part is 1" No need to have a tongue or groove intersect with the nosing, just butt up to it.

Old 04-05-18, 05:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
How are your stairs constructed? Is it a prefab unit that was put in place pre-assembled, or was it built on site with stringers and such? You really can't just overlay a stair tread with 1" thick material unless you are increasing the bottom last step flooring by the same amount. Treads by code can not vary more than 3/8" from one to another.

Are your stairs open tread or closed treads?

Pictures would help. Go to reply, hit the advanced button and look for the picture icon. The browse your computer for your pic and upload. Keep in mind the picture will have to be resized for web quality prior to uploading or it will exceed file size limits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: