Staple v cleat 2018!!

Old 06-01-18, 11:02 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Staple v cleat 2018!!

Sorry to do this to you all but a lot of research I have been doing is dated and it seems to go right down the middle when you ask cleat or staple, overall. Certainly, however, there has to be some more current research around this question and specifically when you are fastening a particular type of product/wood.

For example, I have selected a 3/4" engineered product that has a quarter-sawn filleted softwood core with a red oak wear layer. For all intents and purposes, the fastener will not be going through any hardwood at all. Does this affect the choice of staple or cleat?

The manufacturer doesn't think so. They told me cleat or staple; your call, doesn't matter. Okay...

The retailer told me always, always, always staples in engineered floor especially with this filleted design. His reasoning, which makes a lot of sense, is that a cleat could conceivably miss the wood altogether if it falls immediately where two fillets meet. The staple "smushes" outward and at least one of the prongs would find wood. Okay...

I've read many of the cons of staples blowing out tongues but this seems to be more of an issue in hard woods. I've also read how staples may hold too tight not allowing the floor to move as it wants. Okay...

So, how the hell does some shmo (me) who has some flooring to install make the call? I imagine a lot of installers out there have a variety of nailers and fasteners at their disposal. What is your rule-of-thumb?

Old 06-06-18, 09:45 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Is there a sticky for this?

Old 06-06-18, 03:25 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I use cleats myself even though my floor nailer will take both cleats and staples. I like cleats in that they are like ring shanked nails, they have little grippers on the sides that help them hold tight.

Of note, is that some of the soft core engineered flooring is not nailed through the tongue but instead, through the groove. Might want to double check for your situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: