T&G floor at stair nosing

Old 07-06-18, 04:40 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T&G floor at stair nosing

How do you deal with the installation of the last flooring board that ends at a stair nosing? I don't see how the tongue of the floor will go into the groove of the nosing.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-18, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
You use a special stair nosing piece that matches your floor, cut it to width, router a groove into the cut edge, and then glue and/or face nail it.

If you are saying you have an existing stair nose, you need to remove it and install it last.

Old 07-06-18, 04:51 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Or use a piece of the flooring and router a bull nose on the edge, stain the edge and install!

The more "unusual" the flooring, like something with very deep texture the more likely any and all fit pieces will need to be made from the flooring material!

Old 07-06-18, 06:05 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marq1: the floor is engineered with ply core so I don't think it will look any good.

XSleeper: the nosing is in place.

Would this work? Cut off bottom of groove side of flooring. Insert tongue into nosing groove and drop flooring in place. Glue would be used to keep top groove piece of flooring secure to other flooring piece. This, of course, is assuming the size of that last piece of flooring is correct. More I think of it it makes sense to just take out nosing and do some premeasuring as others have mentioned.