How to get this plywood flooring look?

Old 07-08-18, 02:10 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to get this plywood flooring look?

Hello! I am in the process of installing a new floor and decided to go with plywood as they keep popping up everywhere on the internet and often look really good.
There is a specific look that I'm after but I have no idea how to achieve that look so I'm hoping someone can lead me in the right way.
In attaching an image of it.​​​​ Apparently this one is from maple plywood. I don't think they have that in my local store, but I font know if it matters?
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-08-18, 02:35 AM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You might check lumber liquidators:

https://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/home

Old 07-08-18, 08:06 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I just can't imagine why anyone would want flooring made of strips of plywood.
There's no T & G to keep it from flexing.
Whole lot of work ripping all those strips!
Near impossible to get perfectly straight cuts, so there will be gaps.
There will be lippage at the butt joints that will splinter at some point.
You could get the same look with engineered flooring and have about 7 layers of rock hard finish already on it so no sealing needed.

Old 07-08-18, 08:31 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There was a recent post where someone wanted to put down and finish sheets of plywood so you never know what people will do.

Seeing a picture is one thing, installing and living with the choice is another!

Old 07-08-18, 09:27 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How about installing utility grade maple?

This a floor we installed during a kitchen renovation. The top grade maple is used for basketball courts, but we really like the character of the utility grade. The wood is made for flooring - tongue and groove and 3/4 thick. We found it at Lumber Liquidators.

Old 07-08-18, 07:03 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I agree 100% with Joe on this, not possible or practical with plywood. Instead, look at engineered flooring, basically plywood with a top layer of natural wood. But it goes together and a contiguous floor and not a piecemeal bunch of garbage.

Old 07-09-18, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree! I have painted plywood floors to give the customer a usable floor until they could afford the floor covering they wanted. Once we painted grout lines, taped them off and then painted the entire floor. Looked decent although I don't know how long it took before it showed signs of wear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: