About to lay floor - tips for electrics access?

Old 08-03-18, 10:15 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question About to lay floor - tips for electrics access?

Hi,

I'm nearing completion of a attic conversion and about to lay down flooring (probably tongue&groove) in the new space. I've had the electrics in the floor (e.g. in the ceilings of the rooms below) replaced but was wondering if there are any tips on making it easier for anyone in the future should they need to replace electrics/light fittings etc. in the room below?

Putting down floors (especially tongue&groove) feels very permanent

Cheers, Neil

Old 08-04-18, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Neil!

Unless I misunderstand the question, not having access to the electrical from above would be no different that any other 2 story house. Normally the only access needed is at the box. Worst case scenario you'd cut and remove a portion of the ceiling to redo/alter wiring and then patch the ceiling.

Old 08-04-18, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
When it's a ceiling I have done tiny labels and placed them on the ceiling where there is a fixture or plumbing cleanout or important something above. In 17 years nobody has ever spent enough time looking at the ceiling to spot them but they are very helpful when you need to come back at some point in the future.

On the floor I usually make a map. I do a drawing of the room layout showing the walls, doors and windows so it's easily recognizable what it is. Then a measure and mark the location of fixtures and important things buried in the floor. Then I post the drawing on the back side of a closet door in the room.

Old 08-04-18, 06:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the tips guys - exactly what I was looking for. Also I'll turn the electric boxes upside down so they can be unscrewed from brlow, wouldn't have thought of that.

Cheers N

Old 08-05-18, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Also I'll turn the electric boxes upside down so they can be unscrewed from below,
You cannot add flooring on top of splice boxes. Those boxes then become unaccessible and that is completely against code. Electrical splice boxes must be accessible without having to remove wood or sheetrock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: