Laminate in Kitchen

Old 08-06-18, 10:50 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Laminate in Kitchen

I am considering putting laminate in my Kitchen. I've researched how to keep the floor sealed using PVA Type II glue but am concerned about under the cabinets.

If the Laminate floor only goes under the cabinets just past the toe kick, then any moisture that leaks (say from the faucets or drain) would go under the cabinet and collect under the laminate and wouldn't be discovered for a long time.

Can someone tell me how to alleviate this problem? Ideas in how to get the laminate installed with moisture protection?

Old 08-06-18, 11:59 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I would not put laminate in the kitchen, first it's not as bad as a bathroom but if you want something really waterproof look into vinyl planks!

Old 08-07-18, 04:55 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I put vinyl planks in my laundry and they are terrible. I'll never use them again. They are not water proof at the joins and a simple drip leak from my washer and there is now water under the planks. (thank goodness it's a cement floor, but still, not waterproof.) I've found how to make a laminate floor waterproof, but just want to make sure small leaks don't go undetected.

Old 08-08-18, 03:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I've found how to make a laminate floor waterproof
Patent this idea and then sit back and watch the money flow in.

Old 08-09-18, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I installed vinyl plank over my kitchen floor about two years ago and love it. That being said, floor is slab so I don't have to worry about water getting underneath and rotting out the underlayment.

Old 08-10-18, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would never put a laminate in a kitchen, They were never intended for wet areas. they were designed to be a cheap, temporary flooring easy for DIY installation.

Old 08-10-18, 04:37 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
they were designed to be a cheap, temporary flooring easy for DIY installation.

Amman to that, best summary of laminates!

I have a small area in the basement "kitchenette" area but would never install in my main living area!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: