Flooring dispute

Old 09-04-18, 02:41 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooring dispute

My house is around 1700 square feet, of older construction and built on 2- 8" "cinder" blocks. At the moment, we have carpet in all of the living area rooms. I would like to have laminate flooring because of the cleaning issue that is made more difficult because of our indoor pets. My wife was told that hard flooring of any kind would not work on a pier and beam construction because of the problem of the house settling or shifting. Am I just out of luck with carpet being the only option or can a quality professional install laminate flooring successfully?

Old 09-04-18, 04:43 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Like any hard surface there is levelness and deflection requirements,

If the floor is level and stiff enough is really should not matter how it's built but that being said you need to confirm what you have!

Old 09-04-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
In their experience they probably know that that type of construction is notoriously shifty... especially on a older house. As Marq1 says, if it's level and stiff, it is all good.... but if it is wavy, then no. Even shimming the piers in that case would not help because the joists would be warped.

Old 09-04-18, 08:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My wife was told that hard flooring of any kind would not work....
Told by whom? Someone who works in that industry?

Personally, I wouldn't put laminate in anything but a good engineered wood floor would be on my list to consider.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: