Water based finish for hardwood floor?

Old 10-24-18, 09:48 AM
P
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Water based finish for hardwood floor?

Hi guys,
I'm getting quotes from pros to refinish my red oak hardwood floors. One of the bidders is encouraging me to use a water based floor finish instead of oil. The brand is Bona. Price is the same either way. He says he pays more for the water based, but oil is more labor. Anyway, I like the idea of water based. Less fumes. Dries faster and so shorter job time. No Ambering.

The problem is I've used water based on furniture and was pretty disappointed. What's the word on water based for refinishing floors? Does it last? Should I trust it? Has it been proven?

Also, while I got ya, I need to fit a short piece of panel floor into place in such a way I won't be able to use nails (unless I face nail). Trimming it to make it fit is no problem, but what kind of glue should I use? I had one pro say to use pemium PL constrution adhesive, but another one specifically said not to because it's "too hard" or something like that. He suggested I use Bostik. I've got PL on hand. Do I need to make a run to get the Bostik or something else?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-18, 10:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue with face nailing the replacement board. The nail holes can be puttied and made to virtually disappear. I don't know which adhesive is better.

Bona has some great finishes although I'm not overly familiar with them. A waterbased poly that uses a hardener/activator dries pretty much as hard as oil base. Waterbased polys don't deepen the colors naturally in the wood like oil base does - so there is a different look unless you use a stain.

Old 10-24-18, 11:31 AM
P
Marksr,

Hmmmm... good feedback, but I need more from someone like you who's opinion I value. Just tell me you trust it Mark. I need to hear that it's as good as oil for durability and longevity.

In the meantime, anyone else have more direct knowledge of water based on floors?

Old 10-24-18, 11:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Generally speaking, oil based is going to create a harder film and be more durable. How much longer would it last? Can't say. Personally, I still use oil based poly but part of that is because I like the hint of amber it imparts to the wood.

Old 10-24-18, 12:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I've used a good bit of oil base poly I haven't used much waterbased. The two part waterbased polys do seem to hold up good. I know Bona has a good reputation, other than that I can't really say.

Old 10-24-18, 04:19 PM
P
In my case, the wife dislikes the ambering....

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep checking back on this thread in hopes of a more solid endorsement from someone has more direct experience with water based finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: