How to make sanded & wood-scraped floor areas look the same

Old 11-19-18, 01:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to make sanded & wood-scraped floor areas look the same

Hello. I'm refinishing an old hardwood floor staircase in my home. On the stairs, I used a beltsander 80 grit for the bulk of it. On the edges/corners I used a wood scraper.

On the landing, I used a beltsander 80 grit, and wood stripper along the edges. As you can see in the pics, the problem is that it's obvious where different tools were used. I plan on staining it, and am shooting for "good enough" results. To make it more uniform, I was thinking of using 80 grit on the edges with my vibrating hand sander and then sanding it all up to 100 grit or even higher. Am I going in the right direction here or will I be crying later? I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks!

Images here... https://postimg.cc/gallery/2gavsgu9a

Old 11-19-18, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You've got a lot more sanding to do! 100 or 120 grit should be fine enough for the final sanding before staining.

Old 11-19-18, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The thing that will make you cry is the sheer amount of sanding you will need to do. I sure hope you are staining that wood a dark color. You will need lots of sanding and lots of different sanders, because you need to sand right up to every edge. Sanding would be a little easier if the ballusters could be removed. But you have a TON of work ahead of you. IMO everything should be evenly sanded with 80 grit and then you need to spend an equal amount of time with 100... likely up to 120.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: