Best way to deal with gaps between laminate floor panels?

Old 02-25-19, 08:00 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to deal with gaps between laminate floor panels?

Hello DIY community,

As shown in the attached images, I see a few nagging floor gaps between the laminate panels. What's the best way to deal with these? Unfortunately, the gaps are appearing in the middle of the floor, so it's even more tricky.

I googled "floor gap fixer", and the first result seems promising. However, I'm from Canada, and I can't get the FloorGapFixer for cheap.

I tried a (heavy duty) suction cup + mallet method, but the floor panels wouldn't move at all.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Old 02-25-19, 08:46 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've had moderate success using a foot stomp. Use a pair of shoes or sneakers that has a really good grip on the floor. Get near the gap and in perpendicular to the gap raise your foot and then stomp it onto the floor moving in a direction that closes the gap. I sometimes use both feet to get more leverage.

Short of that, remove the baseboard and use a flat pry bar to try to leverage that row of flooring to move ever so slightly to close the gap. Be careful not to damage the floor in the process. The edges of laminate are very brittle.

Old 03-11-19, 10:06 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 67 Upvotes on 52 Posts
If you can, put some wood glue in the gap before stomping it closed. It won't open again and won't effect the rest of the floor floating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: