cracks in filler of wooden floor

Old 04-06-19, 04:58 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cracks in filler of wooden floor

I have a problem with my new wooden floor. It was installed as big pieces of wood (98 feet by 5 inches) and about 0.5 inch thick. Between the pieces of wood there are some gaps and they put some kind of a filler in between. The filler is cracked as soon as it is all dry and painted. I am planning to redo the floor myself. Thus sanding the floor and getting rid of the filler. Then put new filler in. Any suggestions on how to get the filler out and what kind of filler to use?

I have attached 2 pictures of a closeup of thee filler with cracks. I don't know what kind of filler it is.

Thanks, Peter

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  134.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-06-19 at 09:06 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 04-06-19, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It almost looks like caulk the way it sticks to one side and then the other. I don't know what tool to recommend. Maybe you could try a oscillating tool like the Fein Multimaster. They make a variety of blades you could try. One is round with teeth but is flat on one side. The flat side- if oriented facing down- would slide on the tongue as you slid it back and forth and would not cut into it. So that might be good. Or, you might find that a similar blade that has abrasive (instead of teeth) would be better. Or, you might find that a simple scraper blade works best in the oscillating tool, since you could just slide it along either side and not cut into it at all.

They also make a grout remover blade that fits on a sawzall... but boy you would have to be so careful with it on a wood floor... if it jumped out of the groove it could ruin a floor fast.

It is just hard to say what would be best. And I would also add that if the house is not air conditioned and kept at a constant temperature and humidity year round, you will continue to have problems no matter what filler you use. Wood floors naturally expand and contract and unless the temperature and humidity remain stable, the floor is going to move on you a lot.

If you cut out a piece with a utility knife, is it dry and crumbly? Like you could grind it into powder? Or is it more rubbery and not powdery at all when crushed?

Old 04-07-19, 02:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Peter!

If it's caulking it would stretch as you cut/pull it loose. If it's a traditional floor filler it should crumble. If it is caulking I'd cut and remove it all. With floor filler you can probably get by with just removing the top portion, maybe scraping it with a screwdriver.

How new is the floor? was the wood dry and acclimated to the room before installation? any chance of getting the finisher out to fix it? Was the finisher a pro?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: