Tacky floor after staining

Old 05-30-19, 11:20 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tacky floor after staining

Hello. I sanded my engineered hardwood floor and applied two coats of oil based stain - 1st coat of Varathane White Wash and 2nd coat Classic Grey. I set the AC at 80*F and left the house for 48h. I wanted to get higher temperature with low humid. Btw, I live in Florida so my windows are closed. The floor is still sticky and tacky. I bought water based polyurethane finish - Streetshoe NXT. I wanted to apply the finish tomorrow.

I would really want to move in as soon as possible, my apartment lease ends tomorrow, so I would need to sleep in the kitchen with my wife and my dog, or move to my parents for the "curing" time, but then there's still the polyurethane that requires curing. Now I regret that I didn't just go with laminate.

Is there any way to help the stain dry out?

Old 05-31-19, 02:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Air circulation will help. Setting the HVAC fan on manual might help. Did you wipe off the excess stain after you applied it? Stains preform best if only one coat is applied as they rely more on absorption to dry - they don't have the driers found in other types of coatings.

duanefauntleroy voted this post useful.
Old 05-31-19, 07:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Gee, didn't Mark and I do a good enough job answering the question on the other forum?

Old 05-31-19, 08:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Don't you love that?

Could have left too much stain on the floor as well. Wiping stains are meant to be wiped off until you no longer get colorant off them. If you left a lot of stain residue on the floor, it's no wonder it's tacky.

Old 06-03-19, 01:12 PM
M
Oh, did you respond on the other forum as well?

The stain is still somewhat tacky, it doesn't show footprints and does not smell, but is still a little sticky and shiny. The manufacturer adviced me to dump a grade 4 steel wool in the stain, wipe the floor with it and wipe it immediately with a cloth. Do you think it's a good idea?

I also called the polyurethane manufacturer customer service and they said not to use the steel wool...

Old 06-03-19, 01:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You shouldn't use steel wool with any water based coating. You'll likely leave tiny steel fibers behind which the water based coating will turn to rust. I'd probably scrub the floor with a rag damp with mineral spirits. That will remove some of the excess stain and care needs to be used so you keep an uniform color.

Old 06-03-19, 03:49 PM
M
I applied the stain and wiped it off in few spots, but everywhere where I had my feet (not the new stained spots) for a minute or two, the stain came off and bare wood showed up as soon as I raised my foot.

http://imgur.com/a/gYlkC4r

Also tried to sand it down in the closet to see what happens and the stain is coming off easily with a hand sander and 220 grit paper.

One more thing that I noticed. The areas that were sanded with the hand sander and the area that I took the stain off with my feet, does not absorb any of the stain, I can rub it off completely to bare wood. Its also kind of silky smooth to touch.

Last edited by m4gnum; 06-03-19 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I sanded my engineered hardwood floor and applied two coats of oil based stain
I assume the original finish was a factory finish and not site applied. It sounds like maybe the original finish didn't get completely removed which hampers the stain's absorption into the wood. That along with 2 coats of stains might be the issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: