Engineered or Solid Wood for Kitchen

Old 07-08-19, 02:01 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineered or Solid Wood for Kitchen

Hi we have just completed the kitchen renovation apart from the floor. My girlfriend would love solid wood flooring but I have heard they don't do well in moisture prone areas.

I saw this guide saying that engineered wood might be a better option but I am still cautious of water warping the planks. Does anyone recommend either? I don't like the idea of LVT because the floor may need to be accessed for pipe work in the future.

Please help..

Old 07-08-19, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While tile is probably the best choice for a kitchen floor, hardwood [either type] should do fine. I've had parquet on my kitchen floor for close to 20 yrs and it's held up fine.

What do you mean by "floor may need to be accessed for pipe work in the future" ?

Sam85 voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-19, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Put solid wood on my kitchen floor about 5 years ago and doing fine. I bought the finished floor in boxes and had to do nothing but install.

Sam85 voted this post useful.
Old 07-08-19, 03:08 AM
S
There's pipework under there and my OCD is saying I may need to access it in the future. Maybe I am worrying about nothing.

I think I will go for engineered wood. Thanks for your help guys

Old 07-08-19, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO it generally makes more sense to access those pipes from underneath. Even if there is a finished ceiling - they can generally be repaired easier than pulling up flooring.

Old 07-15-19, 12:40 AM
S
There is no room below my kitchen though. We have done a lot of research and both my Girlfriend and I have decided to go with engineered wood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: