Dishwasher leaked, Shaw hardwood floor damaged

Old 09-24-19, 05:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher leaked, Shaw hardwood floor damaged

I'm really just looking for information here. I'd like to DIY this repair, but want to know how successful this has been for others. I have installed Pergo before.

The flooring is 3/8" thick, 3.25" wide, and I believe this is the stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shaw-App...0132/202019980

Finding a contractor willing to replace 12 planks is very hard, so I'm willing to do it myself. Is this a good idea or a terrible idea? I think this is one of those deals where if it takes me all day or all weekend, I'll do it.

The dishwasher leak is very likely to be an outlet hose, although I'm guessing on this.

Old 09-24-19, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Depends how your product was installed... glue, float, staple or nail? Also depends on the layout of the floor and where the damage is. You will likely need to disassemble more than you think.

Old 09-25-19, 05:41 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
That is engineered hardwood, not typ Pergo.

So exactly what has happened to the flooring?

Old 09-25-19, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
I worked for a appliance repair Co. water leaks were covered by insurance and usually required the whole floor to be replaced. New boards will not match the old ones even if out of the same box. Wear on floor will cause color change.

Old 09-25-19, 09:40 AM
M
Dishwasher leaked, floor buckled

I see what I wasn't clear about the damage. The dishwasher leaked, causing swelling and buckling of about 10-12 planks.

We bought an existing home, and I really don't like engineered or laminate flooring in a kitchen, but didn't want to not buy a house we liked for a relatively small flaw. I knew going in that a wooden floor in a kitchen could not last. If we have to replace the entire floor in the kitchen, I'd actually prefer something other than this flooring. It's great for livingrooms, bedrooms and halls, but not kitchens.

The previous owner left us with an unopened box of the flooring, which wasn't very old when we bought the house just under 2 years ago. I think this flooring is under 3 years old.

Old 09-25-19, 09:53 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
So as XS stated a lot depends on how the floor was installed which is going to make it a pain or a really big pain.

First get the dishwasher fixed and moved, from there you should be able to see if it is nailed, glued, or floating.

In simplest terms, your going to pull up the flooring to a point past the damage then reinstall new.

Old 09-25-19, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Yeah once you get the dishwasher out, cut across the front of the toekick, remove what's under the dishwasher and see how it's installed.

Old 09-28-19, 10:41 AM
M
Yes, thanks for everyone's comments. My next step is to pull the dishwasher out to see if I can find the leak, and to explore the way the floor is installed. The companies all say it's easy to replace planks, but I'm skeptical.

I'm all on board for the new vinyl floors on the market today. It's just not the same "lino" installed in 1962 in Grandma's house. It's relatively inexpensive and can look great. I imagine a new floor in the kitchen area wouldn't cost 10 times as much as replacing a dozen planks.

But I gotta fix that leak first.

Old 09-28-19, 02:06 PM
M
I think I'm learning an expensive lesson here. The leak in the dishwasher appears to be along the lower front seal on the door, caused by a buildup of grime. All I has to do was keep it clean, and I didn't.

Old 09-28-19, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Same thing happens on front load washers. Don't know how many service calls for a washer leak and all it was a build up of gunk.

Old 02-25-20, 12:04 PM
M
I fixed the dishwasher, now back to the floor.

The flooring is glued in. According to Shaw's installation instructions, this material is nailed or glued, and can't be floated, so I have a tough task ahead.

I've managed to remove some of the planks, and this really is the hard part. Working manually with no power tools is very tough going, and I plan to address that today (reciprocating power tool and scraper). It also looks like I have some concrete to even out.

I have some pictures. I probably should have called in a pro, but so far I haven't spent anything. I may have to replace the floor all the way to the fridge, maybe 100 square feet.

Here's a few pictures. It is clear that this repair has been done at least twice. I have a close up of some sort of foam under some of the planks. What is that?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1qHp1rMm5EeQFi3GiaxNwRgtUO0FQmttx

Last edited by MikeM95831; 02-25-20 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Weird title
Old 02-25-20, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,332 Votes on 1,231 Posts
Mike.... that links points towards pictures that are private.
In order to use Drive.... the pictures need to be set to public.

You could also post them here....... How-to-insert-pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: