Leveling concrete for laminate hardwood

Old 09-29-19, 05:18 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling concrete for laminate hardwood

how level does the concrete have to be to install laminate hardwood floors? And whats the best way to check how level the floor is and how to level for laminate hardwood?
i have watched videos online but no one shows checking how level the floor is or how to level it.
Thanks

Old 09-29-19, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your installation instructions will tell you how flat the floor needs to be. Without a specific product in mind, we can't really answer specifically.

Old 09-29-19, 07:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
And is is laminate or hardwood? Since you talk about putting this on concrete, I'm concerned you're installing in a basement where either, but especially laminate, might be a bad idea.

Old 09-29-19, 11:52 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Basically your going to use a nice flat 1x6 board on edge.

By going around the floor at various locations and directions you will mark the edges of gaps and high spots and eventually you will have a map of the areas that need to be take down or filled in.

A diamond cup grinder and wet vac for the dust will get the high spots and a skim coat of mortar for the low spots!

Ce325 voted this post useful.
Old 10-08-19, 04:26 PM
C
Old 10-08-19, 04:31 PM
C

with the stone fireplace not being even how do you cut the wood to but up against the stone? Or is there another way?

also at the sliding glass door what do you do with the floor? Is there a edge to put on ?
This will be my first laminate hardwood floor install. Idk what I’m doing pretty much. I’m a auto mechanic but I’m having fun learning and thanks for all the info

Old 10-08-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Depending on what wall you are starting on, make sure you are working AWAY from the fireplace. Measure it out so that you will have close to a full piece to work with there. This may mean you will want to adjust the width of the very first piece you install so that you don't have a sliver at the fireplace.

Once you work out toward the fireplace, you will need to scribe the flooring to fit closely to the stone wall, and leave about 3/16 of a gap. You will shim that as needed so that it's solid as you tap the rest of the floor together. (You always use 1/4" shims at the wall perimeters and leave them in place until you are finished. This helps ensure you have expansion... and that the floor doesn't move as you tap pieces together.) Then once you are finished, you can remove those shims and caulk the floor to the stone with a color that matches either the floor or the stone closely. You might be able to find a color of sanded grout caulk that will either resemble the stone color, or the mortar color, or the floor color.

At the patio door you will want to use a laminate t-moulding. Use a 1" scrap cut off of the cap to figure out exactly where the t-moulding track needs to go, (don't snap the cap in, just use it to hover over the track as you slide the track in or out...) once you like where its at, then use a bead of PL polyurethane construction adhesive to bond that track to the floor. Use the scrap to ensure you have the track positioned right. Then lay your flooring over the track, leaving about a 1/4" gap or so between the ends of your flooring and the center section of the t-molding. In the end, you want the cap to snap down and fit tight to the sliding door.

Ce325 voted this post useful.
Old 10-08-19, 05:49 PM
C
Thanks for the help! I’m trying to plan this out before I order the flooring. My next step is clearing out the room then cleaning the glue residue from the old carpet then checking how level the floor is.
Im sure I will have a lot more questions. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: