Repair hole in pre finished hard wood floor

Old 12-21-19, 05:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Repair hole in pre finished hard wood floor

I'm moving kitchen cabinets and now I'm trying to replace/repair the pre finished wood floor boards that have a exposed hole in them from an old central vac connection. Can someone recommend how I could do this ? I probably can use existing floor boards that will be underneath the floor where the cabinets will be. Just don't know how to take them out without damaging them. See the link for pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lscorgq3v...zddsGhrCa?dl=0

Old 12-21-19, 06:48 PM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Is the tongue exposed on the replacement boards?
If yes then pry them up and cut the nails under the board then remove them and then the nail ends.
You could try prying them up and then hammering them down and pulling the nails but the odds of splitting are high.

If the floor is glued down then in my opinion you are screwed.

As far as the actual replacement just Google "hardwood floor board replacement" and there are lots of videos on how to do this.
One thing to note is that when using a chisel to remove bits of the damaged board they never put the chisel against a good board so that they do not damage it.

Old 12-22-19, 01:10 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Assuming nail down tongue and groove!

To remove you will need to make a cut about a 1/2" from the edge on the side of board with the groove, there will not be any nails at that location.

With that cut, and some prying, you will be able to tilt the boards up and work the boards and nails out.

It's going to be a pain!!

To install, you will have to remove the tongue and work the edges back in and face nail down!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: