Engineer wood subfloor prep, subfloor is 2x10

Old 07-28-23, 07:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Engineer wood subfloor prep, subfloor is 2x10

Hi,

I have an older house and installing new engineer wood flooring 5/8" thick. I ripped off the old solid wood floors and the subfloor is 2x10 boards all across. The instructions for the engineer wool say OSB or plywood 3/4" subfloor only.

I assume the 2x10 subfloor is fine? However, there is a gap between each 2x10.. Looks like its about 3/8" between each board.

Also, instructions say use a silicon vapor shield. I've typically used 15lb felt paper. I was thinkin of trying Aquabar "B" this time or should I stick with silicon vapor shield rated paper?

Old 07-28-23, 08:21 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Others will chime in but I've always heard it's possible if they are solid, flat and secure.

I've used both, felt and silicone, have never seen any difference between them.

Old 07-28-23, 08:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heres the subfloor

Looks like mostly flat but some of the edges are higher than the adjacent edge. The current wood floors didn't seem to have an issue, they are flat.

If this is not a suitable subfloor, can I just throw in a thin CDX plywood like a 15/32" plywood on top of this without having to rip it out too. Or even better, can I use this existing wood floors as the subfloor since its already flat and even.

Last edited by gorth97; 07-28-23 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-28-23, 09:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,007 Upvotes on 1,799 Posts
I would at least run over the subfloor with a sander to knock down the high spots and get it as level and smooth as your patience will allow. Your 5/8" thick flooring is similar to traditional 3/4" thick solid wood flooring so I think it would work. You won't have an option which way to run your new flooring though as it should be perpendicular to the planks underneath. Also you should pay attention to where the gaps are so you don't nail in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: