Your thoughts on Rubio Monocoat? Or your favorite, fastest product

Old 08-16-23, 06:37 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on Rubio Monocoat? Or your favorite, fastest product

Hey there! We're thinking of refinishing our floors. It's actually just one floor, about 625 sqft, and it's your typical, 1960's 2.25" red oak, with what I'm assuming is a standard poly finish and very old. It's actually coming off just by rolling an office chair around under a desk. That section is completely bare, and because of the age of the finish, we think this would be a fairly easy job for us. Also factor in, I used to own a woodworking business where I built furniture so I have extensive experience working with and finishing wood.

Anyhow, I'm sure you've heard this thousands of times, so here it comes again: downtime is the problem. It's the main floor of our house(two story colonial with finished basement) and it contains two rooms: Kitchen and living room. Since we have 4 cats, it's not practical to move out for a week. Because of this, we're looking for the absolute fastest way to do this. We're only going to be living here 5 years or less(already been 12). I was looking at a product called Rubio Monocoat, which claims to be a one step process. Now, it doesn't seem to be the same as one step stain/poly, as I'm not a fan of that(unless it's gotten better over the years?). I was thinking I'd come home early on a Friday, and we could sand the floors. The following morning, get up early, clean the floor using whatever product you use for that, then just come right in with the Rubio. Walking on it with socks by dinner time.

What are your thoughts on this? And as a follow up question, are there any products/procedures I'm overlooking or have otherwise not thought of?

Old 08-16-23, 07:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
That appears to be a very different product than the poly you currently have. It's basically linseed oil. I think it would be good for cabinetry or a table but not a good choice for a floor. As a oil it doesn't create a protective layer on TOP of the wood so your flooring will be exposed to wear.

Old 08-16-23, 08:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
The odds are the hardwood would have had a multi coat lacquer finish back in the 60s
I wouldn't have any confidence in a one coat finish.
IMO walking on any floor coating the same day is overly optimistic.

Old 08-17-23, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I don't know of any coating that is dry enough to walk on the same day. And how bad is the odor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: