Termite Proof (Protection)

Old 03-28-16, 11:08 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Termite Proof (Protection)

Besides fumigation (tenting) the house every 7-10 years, what are preventative measures that one can take to slow down termite infestation? I have spent a couple of thousands each time for termite repairs on our rental properties.

It is amazing how much damages they have caused. They seem to thrive much more in hot weather which I thought originally that they like damp weather.

Last edited by WRDIY; 03-29-16 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-16, 06:40 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Iím assuming that you are talking about dry wood termites since you are fumigating. We donít have that species here in the East. Iíve never treated for them or learned about them to the extent that I have on subterraneans.

I do feel certain that if you could treat all exposed wood with a product such as Tim-Bor, Boracare or any other brand name with the same active ingredient that the treated wood will be protected for years. Unfortunately the wood has to be exposed and not have any stain, paint, sealer on it.

Hopefully others will contribute their experiences.

Old 03-29-16, 12:42 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Thank you PABugman! I will look into those products. I remember reading somewhere that subterraneans are the most destructive out of the termite family.

Unfortunately, if the wood has to be exposed, it maybe difficult to get through the entire house. I was working on the bathroom a few years ago and took drywall off. there was one part where the wood just crumbled with a light tap.