Termidor on under the large porch next to the foundation

Old 05-15-16, 09:15 PM
A
aro
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Termidor on under the large porch next to the foundation

I purchased the house in Southlake, TX which has Subterranean termite history and has been treated with Termidor 8 years ago. I want to apply another Termidor treatment since house is going to be vacant for another month or two and I wanted to get over all the maintenance/fixes before I move in. The house has a lot of concrete around foundation on two sides (porch and large garage court side). See the images below. Should I apply the Termidor on the concrete? If so, how? Thanks in advance.

Name:  Porch Image.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  garage court Image.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  30.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-16, 07:49 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
No point in treating exposed concrete. It would help with typical crawling insects for a while though but not subterranean termites. If you had ant issues this would be part of an effective treatment.

To treat subterranean termites you want the termidor and any other termiticide to be under the concrete and below the soil surface where there is no concrete. Look closely at the concrete near the house perimeter and try to find small patch marks 12” to 18” apart. That would be where (if) the concrete was drilled to inject termiticide below the slabs.

If you still want to treat under the concrete then I would drill where the patches are, if any, and treat thru the holes and re-patch same. The drilling will be much easier and you could use a cordless drill with hammer mode and masonry bit.

Did the house have an active termite issue 8 years ago? I’m in the northeast where we pretty much only treat when there is reason to treat. Down south the termite intensity is different so protocols are different too.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-16, 11:28 AM
A
aro
Thank you for your response. The seller of the house did not provide any details on the condition from 8 years ago.

I see the patches under the porch, but there aren't any around the garage. I suspect they injected through the expansion gap, which is currently filled with mastic.

Is there a spacial tool that is used to inject the Termidor through the drilled hole?

Thanks again for your response.

Old 05-16-16, 12:58 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Yes there are attachments to the hose of power/pressure spray rigs that seal on the hole so the termiticide is injected under pressure. Commercial operators need this to get the job done in a timely manner. DIY’ers simply need to get the chemical into the ground. I’m not familiar with Texas soil but if it is sandy, unlike northeast soil, then you may do alright with a funnel and a jug. The goal is to get the termitcide into the soil under the concrete. You don’t have to do the whole job at once; just keep track of where you left off. Some holes will accept it better than others; just keep track of that and you can bounce back and forth between holes. If you can get 4 gals of finished termiticide in every 10 linear feet you are doing fine.

I like Termidor and the newer “knock-offs” a lot as they are non-repellent. Taurus SC used the same active ingredient “fipronil” and it is cheaper but you can’t go wrong with the Termidor brand and you’re already saving a lot of money on the labor.

Old 05-16-16, 04:28 PM
A
aro
Thank you again for detailed explanation. It was very helpful.