Found termite(possible nest) in the garden bed outside garage

Old 07-23-16, 08:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Found termite(possible nest) in the garden bed outside garage

Just found group of termites hidden under my garden hose box on a garden bed outside the garage door. Noticed line of insects going through the voids on the frame. What to do to eliminate them? Is termix reliable? Did a check 3yrs ago when buying the townhome and found nothing. This should be fairly recent, don't know how bad it is. Is termix reliable? Heard that they just want to hook you up with their plans. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-16, 08:30 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Whether or not a company is reliable will essentially be based on how good the individual operator is that does the treatment. Not a helpful answer but it’s accurate.

Two types of treatment for subterranean termites:

1) Bait stations in the soil which need to be maintained on a long term basis.

2) Traditional liquid soil treatment which can be a once and done treatment but will come with a warranty to some extent.

I never performed baiting for termites though it does work. We always did the liquid soil treatments and offered longer than a one year warranty.

Talk to friends/relatives as to who they used. Word of mouth is a great way to find pest control operators. Take your time as this is NOT an emergency. Anyone who tells you it is should be dropped off the list of potential hires.

Find someone who uses the active ingredient “fipronil”. It comes in various brand names, some of which are Termidor, Taurus SC, Fuse and others.

http://www.termidorhome.com

I’m not advertising for termidor but this is a good educational site. They do have their own bait stations too. The active ingredient “fipronil” is off patent so that is why it will be found in various brand names.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by PAbugman; 07-23-16 at 08:34 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-24-16, 10:59 AM
M
Sprayed some Spectracite termite and carpenter ant concerntrate and moved away the hose box and a plant pot. Activity reduced but still visible and it does not look like termite or carpenter ants, smaller than those. But they do seem like trying to build a nest with the white stuff they carry. Took some pictures here.

Old 07-24-16, 06:10 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
No pictures came through. Ants carry their eggs away when they feel threatened; possible that is what you are seeing.

Old 07-25-16, 05:47 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Two separate types of thoughts. First, you say "townhome". If you're in a community, it may be that the association has responsibility for this. Beyond that, make certain it's not against the rules for you to spray outside your home. If there's no association, disregard this part.

Second, if you want to eradicate them, you need to destroy the ants in the nest. Either find the nest itself and kill everything or watch for where the ants move. They create trails. Get some bait and put it along the trails. My preference is sweet vs protein, but do your research on this.

Old 07-25-16, 10:55 AM
M
Name:  ant1.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  28.5 KB The Ant I saw

Name:  door frame.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  28.5 KB Holes/voids on the garage door frame where I first saw ants going in out and carrying white stuff.

Old 07-25-16, 11:08 AM
J
Looks more like a wasp. Could be wrong but I thought we had subterranean termites around here which live underground and build mud tunnels up foundations walls which protect them from the light.
Can you get a better picture?....without getting attacked!!!

Old 07-25-16, 12:32 PM
M
It's definitely ant, and small ones, around 1-2mm (definitely sub 3mm). They are not afraid of light since they were going on the ground (garden soil) carrying the white stuff, but they do prefer the dark places since they hid under the pot and hose box.

It was hard to get a good pix, since they moved around fast and I was only able to take that pix after it was drowned in the spray.