Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Trane Furnace/Honeywell Thermostat; Thermostat has no C/B, furnace has no power

Old 02-10-16, 07:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello. I've tried to do my research before asking this questions but it seems all posts are asking the reverse of what I'm about to ask. So...I have a Trane furnace that has two stage heating and my thermostat just pooped out. I bought a Honeywell to replace it. I am completely new to knowing anything about this stuff prior to running into this problem, but here's what I'm gathering:

My old thermostat connections: B(Trane's version of a C, or common), W1(1st stage heating, W2(2nd stage heating) G(fan), and R(power).

My new thermostat has all these corresponding connections, but no C or B connection. The manual says to leave ignore the C/B wire and tape it off. I did so, but I'm am NOT getting any power to the furnace. My common sense assumption would be that (with C or B acting like a ground to complete the electrical circuit), the current wiring setup isn't a completed circuit, therefore, no power.

Am I missing something here? Our house is going on the market tomorrow (!!) and it's imperative we have heat working. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old 02-10-16, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Verify that the batteries are correctly installed in the thermostat.

Old 02-10-16, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Maybe your old thermostat didn't poop out. You may have other problems.

What happened with the old stat ?

Old 02-10-16, 08:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never mind, I stared at the circuit board on the furnace for a while and found a blown 5amp blade fuse. I'm pretty sure that was my fault as I originally mis-wired the "B" lead to the "B/O" terminal on the new thermostat. This was before I started researching and thought "easy-peasy, just hook up wires to the corresponding terminals". Hardware stores are closed now, but I'm going to pick up a new fuse (or a few) up first thing and will try the new thermostat again.

Thank you very much for your replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: