WIFI Thermostat Compatible with Carrier Infinity HVAC

Old 04-11-16, 06:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WIFI Thermostat Compatible with Carrier Infinity HVAC

I am interested in replacing my current thermostat (Carrier Infinity Control T-Stat) with the Nest or Echobee 3 or other compatible WIFI thermostat. I have read online a lot about my Carrier Infinity central heating and air conditioning system not being compatible with other WIFI thermostats (e.g.
Nest). Seems Carrier only acknowledges their WIFI T-Stat to be compatible at twice the cost of other WIFI T-Stats. There are references that the Echobee thermostat may be compatible. Not sure about Honeywell or Nest. I would like to understand if there is a non-Carrier WIFI T-Stat that is compatible with the Carrier ICS Infinity system. The gas furnace I have is a model 58MVC100-20, the air conditioning unit is a model 24APA748, single zone, and central humidifier.

I have not been successful in getting an answer from Carrier other than to purchase their WIFI thermostat.

Old 04-11-16, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The Carrier Infinity Control T-Stat is a two wire communicating thermostat. It's a highly complicated piece of equipment that does a lot.

In order to replace that stat with a standard type of stat you'd need 6-8 wires between the stat and the furnace.

Another problem is that the Control T stat can control three stages of heat while the ecobee can only control two. Once you remove the Control T you may be forced to use a single stage for heat.

This is not one of your easier DIY conversions.

I'd like to hear what my forum partner, Houston, thinks on this stat exchange.

Old 04-12-16, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
The Carrier Infinty WiFi stat is much more than just a thermostat.
It can display the last 10 system events to aid in diagnosing problems that may occur with your system. It can display blower RPM, external static pressure, and CFM output. You can see the voltage at the outdoor unit from the thermostat. You can check out the furnace from the stat and see as the various components are energized. The stat even displays the model and serial number of the condenser and furnace.

You will not find a universal wifi stat that can work as well with your Infinity system as a Carrier Infinity thermostat.

Old 04-18-16, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why not a pro 8000? Better stat less money.

Old 04-18-16, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It would be cheaper. It would mean losing diagnostics and dehumidification as well as low ambient control.

If you decide to get a universal control for this system the dip switches should be checked. The Infinity control configures the system in the software. If you use a conventional stat the dip switches should be set to match the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: